2

Stop and be Productive

"You don't always have this opportunity in life. Right now, you can stop and see which way God wants you to go. Sometimes in life, you don't have that chance, because things get busy and you just have to keep on going and doing what you can, without stopping to think about it much. Take this as an opportunity to stop and ask God what He wants you to do."

I wish I had gotten it word for word, but this is as close as I can remember it (Ariel, help?). So today, Ariel and I went out for lunch with our professor Dr. Malandra and his wife Junko. We had a really good time talking and laughing and enjoying the conversation. Dr. Malandra is one of the professors who has given us so much encouragement and so many good memories over the last couple of years, so it was really great to get to spend time with him and Junko outside of the classroom.

I've received a lot of advice from people recently--my cousin Rachel (who is amazing and housed us this weekend in norcal), Buck (another favorite professor), my parents, and many good friends. I'm doing my best to follow their sage advice, and I'm also trying to continue trust in the Lord's provision for me. But what Junko said to us really struck me as profound. It could be the way she said it or the wisdom behind it, but her words really comforted me.

Others have told me that I should enjoy my summer (because once you work, holidays are less frequent), or that things are just slower in this kind of economy. Perhaps I have this feeling that my life has been put on hold until I can find an internship or until I start a grad school program. Junko's words made me feel that my life is still moving, still productive--I want to see this as an opportunity for God to speak to me and show me what direction He is taking me in. I realize I am a product of my culture; I always want to be active and busy and on-the-go. Maybe it is a spiritual discipline in itself to learn to stop, to be silent, to be still before the Lord. Maybe that's the most productive activity of all.


My "popcorn roll" with lobster and avocado.

Ariel's unagi "samurai roll"'


The lovely Junko with the Haiwaiian roll.

Ariel, me, and Dr. Malandra with our tempura ice cream.

2 comments:

ange violette said...

Loved the pix of food
*drooling*

good to wait upon God

;-)

Unknown said...

Those look sooo good... where is this place?