1

Lists, Lists, Lists

OneWord: palm

Palm pilots. Technology is amazing nowadays. Dad just got a smart phone--a blackberry, to be exact; we just taught him how to text message. Only problem, his fingers are too fat for the buttons. He can't type anything.
#

I didn't mean to keep doing the OneWord exercises, but I can't help but wonder what the new word for each day might be. It does depress me though; I feel like my creativity is waning faster than even I expected.

After dinner this evening, Chelsea and I decided to go to Barnes and Nobles so she could spend her shiny new gift card. Strangely enough, we caught a solar eclips--I mean, Justin, working in the Music/DVD section. English majors have a way of bumping into one another in bookstores, I suppose. Back to the point. After socializing with Justin, Chelsea and I immediately whipped out our pocket moleskine notebooks to find our recommended books and to add titles and authors to our already lengthy wishlists.

As we were browsing along the aisles of B&N's, I was thinking to myself (actually, now that I think about it, I might have said it out loud to Chelsea), "How do people ever decide what books to buy? There are just so many to choose from." I mean, there's a plethora of genres: Science Fiction, Literature (does that mean old and dead?), Literary Fiction, Non-fiction, Historical, Ethnic, Travel, Self-help, Inspirational, the list goes on and on. Then once you pick a genre, you (or at least I do) become completely overwhelmed by the vast array of options, hardback and paper back, anniversary edition and the author's definitive edition. Me personally--I just go for the ones with the cool covers, whatever happens to catch my eye.

Of course, the arrangement of stores like Borders and B&N's caters to the popular authors with large followings--the John Grishams and Dan Browns and Janet Evanovichs. The people who read their books can go directly to the first few aisles to find the latest; they simply look for the name of their favorite author. The covers even use the same type and layout scheme so they're easier to recognize. I don't doubt that they are very talented writers, but how do people find books that are worth reading penned by someone lesser known (or virtually unknown)? How do they find books of true quality and craftsmanship, not simply good entertainment?

I was considering this puzzling question when I got home tonight. I have two or three people I know who are avid readers and have discriminating taste--people like Ariel (my lovely creative writing roommate) or Buck (my writing professor)--who I often go to for recommendations. Depending on what genre I'm looking for, I think I have at least one person I can ask for suggestions. But even though they're rarely wrong about their selections, I still want to know how other people (the more persnickety readers) choose books for their reading lists. At the same time, I'd like to find books that are shaped by me--by the things I'm interested in or the styles I like.

I started looking at different bookstore websites (try Powell's Books, Borders, Barnes and Nobles) to see their recommendations. I wasn't overly enthused by their featured authors (it's the online version of their storefront layout) or impressed with their bestseller lists. I did, however, stumble upon a different set of lists that might prove more helpful in my search for good books. Each year, new books are given awards for excellence in their respective genres. Here is a small sampling:

-Children's Books - Newberry Medal, Young Reader's Choice Award
-General Non-fiction - National Book Award, Pulitzer Prize
-Literary Fiction - Nobel Prize for Literature, PEN/Faulkner Award, Nat'l Book Critics Circle Award
-Mystery - Edgar Award, Gold Dagger
-Sci-Fi & Fantasy - Hugo Award, Nebula Award

You can search for compiled lists of all the winners, past and present. It may not be a perfect match, but I think it at least gives a good picture of what has been generally acknowledged as good writing. I think it will take awhile before I develop my own way of technique for finding what I want to read. In any case, my list of books to read keeps growing longer and longer. Meanwhile, my shelf-space, and my budget, just can't keep up. Maybe it's time to get a library card.

1 comments:

Houston said...

Trust me when its about precious metal, no one can beat or out do your mother's years of experience. Their architectural details provide a story in itself, speaking volumes about the men that created them. us to think the only cure is to drink our sorrows away when the real