1

Morning Muse-ings.

Those of you who know me well know that I'm a night owl. Even when I was little, Mom and Dad had a hard time getting me to sleep. They said it was like I was afraid to miss anything fun that might happen during the night. Babies who don't want to sleep tend to cry; on more than one occassion, I brought my mother to tears. And my dad memorized the entire hymnbook trying to sing me to sleep.

Maybe I'm not as much of a night owl as I am a stubborn mule (I didn't want to leave room for bad wordplay here). I've always like the night better than the day--going out late, staying up late, enjoying either the mysterious excitement or the peaceful quiet of the night. But since graduating, I really have no valid reason for staying up late, other than, that I like to.

Several days ago, my writing buddy Edmund suggested I figure out what time my "muse" (read: writing-inspiration-fairy-thing) likes to come out and play. In other words, if I want to be more disciplined about writing every day, I needed to discover when my ideas flow the best, when I have the most motivation to sit down and write. Well, up until now, I've been quite frustrated. It seemed like my muse is something of a loner kid, who only grudingly comes outside to mingle with the neighborhood children. And then halfway through, throws a tantrum and storms back inside.

So I decided I had to make some changes. I've started heading up to my bedroom around 11 or 12 every evening, spending time journalling (which I haven't done in ages) and reading. And I've been getting up around 8:30 or 9 every morning--early for me--to do my devotions and my writing exercises.

I'm amazed 1) that I can actually get up in the morning and 2) that my "muse" is more cooperative in the morning. I'm a lot more motivated to spend my day productively, and I'm a lot more disciplined. Today, for instance, I wrote over 600 words of a short story.* Yesterday I spent a few hours researching and planning work-related materials. And I cleaned the house for home prayer meeting.

Anyways, I don't really have a point to all this. I just wanted to note that maybe I'm beginning to appreciate mornings a little more.


*Blogger's note: Don't ask, you probably won't ever get to read it.

1 comments:

Matthew Wong said...

Praise the Lord. Keep up the good work of disciplining your life. It will reap fruits in your life as you keep on with it. One expert wrote that you need to maintain it for 2 weeks so that it will become a habit in your life. Keep in touch mui mui..