4

Pt. 4 Field Trip #2, etc.

6. Ely and Cambridge (10/18)

The morning of the second field trip was a disaster. I guess it could have been worse. I had set my alarm for 7, because I knew the bus was scheduled to leave at 8:30 am. Unfortunately, I never heard my alarm. My clock read 8:40 am when I woke up. I went into a bit of a panic; I was sure that I had been left behind.

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten dressed that quickly. I was in such a rush though, that I neglected some important things, like washing my face (I know, I know) or grabbing a scarf. I flew out the door, across campus, past the security gate, and up the road. Fortunately, I wasn’t the only one running behind that morning, and I managed to get there just as the bus was beginning to pull away. It gave me a scare though.

The bus ride to Ely was around two hours long, so I had time to let the adrenaline rush subside and take a nap. We arrived in Ely to sunshine and a nice little apple festival, but no professor in sight. After much confusion…we were first told that there were no tours that day, then we were told to talk to Sue, one person talked to her, then she told the next person she wasn’t Sue, then they wanted us to pay for a tour…finally Professor Lotz arrived and showed the receipt proving that we had already booked and paid for our tour of Ely Cathedral.

The tour guide was a bent, elderly gentleman with little hearing and a big sense of humor. Despite his age and arthritic stride, he was quite lively and gave us a lot of interesting information about the cathedral. As we walked around, we enjoyed hearing the choir rehearsing for the evening festival. It was really beautiful.

Once we had finished our tour, we walked around the block to the site of Oliver Cromwell’s house, where we took another tour given by a lady in Puritan costume. The “Lord Protector” was an interesting character, and the simplicity of the Puritan lifestyle he led was a curious contrast to the enormity of his influence on England’s history.

We were already running behind, so our class loaded back onto the bus to head to Cambridge. Aryn and I were a bit concerned because we were really late and Eric had been waiting for us. Fortunately, he was very flexible and willingly waited another hour for us to attend a lecture with Dr. Ian Randall, which was a fascinating take on evangelicalism and its roots in England.

Directly after the lecture we met up with Eric again. He took us to The Beef Baron, a pub in Cambridge that’s known for its burgers—our first in England. Aryn ordered a pesto burger that came out with about a half-inch thick layer of pesto. I had a Reggae Reggae burger with spicy sauce. We ate fast enough to get indigestion, but we still had so much to see.

Eric took us on a bit of a whirlwind tour around Cambridge. We pretended that we were students at Cambridge and walked into St. John’s College. We crossed the Bridge of Sighs (no, it isn’t really a sad bridge), watched people punting badly (i.e. bumping into each other, and one girl even fell into the river), searched unsuccessfully for the Mathematics bridge (that’s its side job), tried free samples at the 200 year old fudge shop, fed the ducks (they were following Aryn and her baguette) visited Emmanuel College (Eric’s school).

Eric dropped us off at King’s College, where we attended Evensong. Inside of the cathedral is magnificent and awe-inspiringly. We couldn’t see much from where we were sitting though, especially because the congregation is cut off by the large wooden screen. The music was really beautiful, but we did a lot of sitting down, standing up, sitting down, and standing up again. The dimmed lights and floating music really had a soporific effect on me. All the same, Evensong was quite impressive.

Cambridge really fulfilled all of my expectations. It’s almost exactly what I dreamt university life would be like in my young girlish imagination. I suppose it’s strange for an elementary student to create fantasies about collegiate life, but my parents were ROCK sponsors for a long time. I grew up around collegians. Plus, it was awesome getting to hang out with Eric. Yay for connections.

7. Miscellaneous notes

You all may be reading these entries and thinking, “When in the world does Lynnette ever get around to studying?” But actually, I’ve been about a week or two ahead in all of my reading. I’m reading a little over two novels a week, plus I have to write reflections on all our field trips. I have a book in my bag with me at all times, so that I can pull it out on the bus or on the Tube. Plus, there are days that I stay in all day to read.

Aryn and I sometimes get together for dinner. One night she made sukiyaki, which was a really amazing home-cooked meal for students. And then last night, Aryn cooked pasta and I provided homemade garlic bread (thank you Ariel). This afternoon, I had lunch with my Japanese friend Suzuko, and we had a really great chat. She did make the mistake of asking me about my favorite foods; I think I talked about 10 minutes before I realized I had gotten carried away.

Tonight was Rachael’s turn to cook the floor dinner tonight: salmon, vegetarian imitation chicken (made from corn), rice, asparagus, all with a nice mushroom cream sauce. We finished off the meal with lemon cheesecake. Everything tasted great. I always enjoy hanging out with my flatmates. Sadly, our classes are becoming more consuming and we have less time to just relax and spend time together. So our floor dinners are really great.

I can’t believe it’s already been a month and a half since I left Orange County. We actually only have about eight or nine weeks left in the term. Part of me feels like, I’m only now adjusting to life here and making friends, and I’m leaving so soon. Another part of me is beginning to feel drawn towards the future, towards my last semester and then seeing what God has in store for me post-graduation. And the last part of me (that sounds strange) wonders whether or not I have enough time to finish all of my coursework and visit places I want to see and make good friends at church and everything else that I want to do while I’m here.

Anyways, now you all know what I’ve been up to for the last couple of weeks. I think I binge-blogged. Or something like that. Now I probably won’t want to blog for a long time. I’ve procrastinated long enough—now it’s time to get some more reading done. I feel like I haven’t been very interesting on this blog. Oh well.

4 comments:

Ariel O said...

You bogged! You bogged!

And you're welcome...right now, I'm eating a ham sandwich...on a toasted garlic bagel. With stuffing on the side. :)

Too bad about TSE. Thanks for the sad face on the way out of the bookstore.

Matthew Wong said...

that is so cool...hehe..great to read all of your stories mui mui..

Unknown said...

Yay for binge blogging! I enjoyed reading your updates and looking at the photos :)

Frazierzttv said...

He/She may decide to change your dosage, or take you off of it for while to get your tolerance level for it back down.Phentermine can help you to lose weight while you are learning new ways to eat and to exercise. Changes in eating habits and activity level must be learned and used long-term in order for you to continue losing weight or to maintain and to keep the lost weight from returning. If you are thinking of using Phentermine for a longer amount of time or you want to prevent your weight from returning it is not recommended. Rhode Island phentermine results Sudden Weight Loss Phentermine usage and dosage should be as per the direction of the doctor. Phentermine usage may be different for various people as no two persons have the same amounts of fats and calories. Hence, Phentermine should be used according to the prescription of a health professional. The doctor is the right person to give you the right directions of Phentermine usage.