2

Tale One

I have two tales to tell: the first is a comedy, the second a tragedy. Perhaps those labels should be switched; I’ll let you decide. The first I’ll tell today, and the second I’ll leave for tomorrow.

Last night I came home from my presentation completely exhausted. Monday night and early Tuesday morning I worked on my almost 14-page paper for Contemporary Literary Theory. I had a really difficult time figuring out where to go with it—it frustrated me to no end.

After I turned my paper in on Tuesday, Ariel, Janelle, Emily (back from Oxford, visiting from Texas), and I went to Michael’s to buy art supplies for Ariel’s final project in Figure Studies. We dropped by Wal-Mart and Albertson’s to buy food, and then came back to the apartment. Emily was kind enough to cook us dinner while we worked. We sat down to a delicious meal of baked chicken, Spanish rice, and—Ariel’s favorite—stuffing. Yes, she likes stuffing. By itself.

Emily also whipped up some double-chocolatey Ghiradelli brownies (in round pans), which we nibbled on as we Google’d the flower that I brought back from The Point staff dinner. Turns out we’ve had a chrysanthemum decorating our kitchen table for the last week and we didn’t even know it. And who knew that Chinese Lantern flowers look like, well, Chinese lanterns?

After dinner, Ariel and I headed back to campus, to the art studio and Welch computer lab, respectively. I ended up working on my website until 2 am, when the lab closed. I made a call to campus safety to drive me across the street to Lido. I went straight to sleep when I got home.

Wednesday morning I woke up early (for me, anyways) and tried to work on my British Mystery and Detective Fiction paper. I didn’t get much done though; instead I headed back to the computer lab to finish up the last details of my website. I won’t even begin to detail the kind of grief that website gave me.

But, to my relief, I had it all done by three in the afternoon. My presentation later that evening was eventful, other than forgetting everything I wanted to say when it was my turn to explain my site. I think my professors liked it anyways. Plus, I was the last to go up.

I had a hard time concentrating when I came back to the apartment, mostly because I was so worn out. Ariel and I figured that it was more productive to get some rest first, and then wake up really early to finish our work. We woke up at 6 this morning and sat in bed, computers on our laps.

I worked all the way up until 11, when Ariel coaxed me out of the apartment to crash her Fiction class’s pizza party at Gondola. Buck was awesome and invited Emily and me to share in the pizzas. We had a good time schmoozing and joking around. We even had a chance to sneak our green foam brain onto Buck’s seat for him to find.

Toward the end of lunch, I turned my head to say something to Emily, when out of the corner of my eye, I noticed something lime green flying straight at me. The green brain missile smacked me in the head, bounced off me, and landed right back in Buck’s hands, much to his delight and satisfaction.

Well, I had already suffered one blow, I wasn’t about to get caught unaware again. After another few minutes, the meal began to come to an end. As people began to get up to leave, I kept a close watch on Buck’s movements. This time, I was prepared for Buck’s second attempt to clock me on the head with the brain. Unfortunately, I hadn’t taken into account the surprising force of his throw and the complete inaccuracy of his aim.

I raised my hands to try to grab the brain mid-air, but I was too late. The brain avoided my grasp, clipping the top part of my fingers and continuing out of my reach. I watched in horror as the green foam missile flew over my head and over the shoulder of a tiny elderly lady, who was as startled as I was embarrassed.

Buck, of course, had the nerve to leave as soon as the brain left his hand, and never knew the trauma he caused to that poor little lady. She looked around slightly dazed, wondering what exactly had come flying at her and why. To get a more accurate picture of what happened, see Exhibit A.

**Art work by Ariel Okamoto

2 comments:

tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tiffany said...

what is so scandalous about stuffing by itself? i love stuffing, especially when it's by itself!